Monday, October 10, 2016

Scouts Campfire Blanket

I am a Scout Leader for Beavers. Now Beavers don't normally go camping, but I love camping, so the Beavers are going camping. This past mid-September I brought my group camping, outside, in tents! Now you may say, what's the big deal? You go camping all the time. Well, Beavers starts at the tender age of 5 to 7! Many of the Beavers never slept in a tent, let alone away from their parents, let alone SLEPT OUTSIDE!

Well, my Beavers were AMAZING! Not one was afraid, not one had an accident, and we were all snug as a bug in a rug. And it was COLD! Now I wanted to have my campfire blanket ready, to show off, but my timing was off. They are now ready for our winter camping trips.

Last year we bought some nice wool and fleece to sew our Scouts campfire blankets. I started the project, but like many other things in life, I ran out of time. So I started the project again before my Beaver camping weekend a few weeks ago. I was rushed and I did not like the results.We decided to scrap the idea of having fleece sewn on the wool. It will be too bulky with the fleece.

Now you just cut up the middle to form a poncho. We serge the edges, then we sew on the badges.

 The campfire blanket is a record of your adventures in Scouting. When you swim up from Beavers to Cubs you remove your badges and sew them on to your blanket. Any awards, Beaver tails, crest etc... you sew on.
It is also a means to keep you warm by the campfire and on those cold nights where you sleeping bag just isn't warm enough.
 I had to sew everything all at once, which I don't recommend! It took forever. I had to baste all the badges on as the blanket is heavy and cumbersome to manoeuvre. The badges kept falling off.
Plus you have to change your thread for each different colored badge.
But going forward it will be a quick process to sew them on. The only hard part is deciding where to put sew it on!
Now on to Tyler's blanket! He has a LOT of badges, Beaver tails, and activity crests. I may leave it to next weekend!

Saturday, December 26, 2015

Yes, Simon gets another sweatshirt

Another stashbusting project completed. I have to say that Jalie's 3355 pattern is really getting mileage. It takes about 1 1/2 hours to sew, with laundry and kids running around. So it is a simple easy project.

We had bought a lot of fabric for Simon to make himself sweaters but he never had the time. So I have taken it upon myself to rid us of the fabric. Plus he could use some sweaters.
Brown and red striped
He requested that I made him a sweater using the "Freddy Cougar" material.We have 3 red striped fabrics, but this one is the closest.

I think I lined up the stripes well.I pinned them prior to sewing so the stayed in place. 

You see the stripes line up, yippee!

Thursday, December 24, 2015

Yet another Jalie 3355

Well, I am on a roll! I made another Jalie 3355 sweatshirt for Simon. This one took a tad bit longer as I had kids running around screaming, throwing things, generally causing Chaos! No worries, nothing was broken and miraculously no kids cried.

I used more fabric from my Tonitex stash, a nice lightweight checkered knit and a lightweight black rib. It went well, nothing special. I am now an expert at this pattern.

Jalie 3355 - Thomas the Tank Sweatshirt

So here is another version of Jalie's 3355. I made it with the flannel and white rib we bought at Tonitex. This was origanlly slated for a PJ top but we don't need another PJ.

It was a super quick and easy sewing project.

I love quick and easy.

I am running out of labels so I decided to use Thomas' face. When kids dress themselves it is always useful to have tags to help them identify the front from the back.

Here you can see my topstitching details.

I am loving how easy it is to attach rib.

Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Jalie 3355 size "I" for Sam

Construction flanelSo I decided to sew a sweatshirt for Sam with the tool fabric we got from Tonitex. I originally wanted to make PJ's with this fabric, but Sam has more than enough PJ's.We also got this amazing sturdy grey rib from Tonitex as well.

Sam was a screamer this evening and he did not want to go to bed. He finally did, and I had enough time (and motivation) to sew him a sweatshirt - from start to finish.

I used Jalie 3355, size "I", which corresponds to a child's size 5. This is a fun easy pattern. Let's hope tomorrow morning Sam will enjoy his new sweatshirt. I told him he had to go to bed so that I can sew. The last time I went to settle him down he told me that I should now go sew!