Thursday, December 20, 2012
Holiday Pjamams! McCalls 6475 - Easy Onsie PJ and New Look 6525
Today I decided to finally make the Christmas PJ's for my boys. I will be making the McCalls 6475 size 3-4 and the New Look 6525 size small.
I used 2 tables to lay the material out and cut the fabric. For 2 small kids, there sure is A LOT of fabric!
I decided not to use the pockets, hood and feet for the McCalls one.
It was super easy to sew, it took a grand total of 2 hours from tracing the pattern to sewing it up.
I sure hope it fits Tyler!
I did not see the need to make the feet. I was disappointed I could not find a pattern for a onesie with feet attached. These feet are attached by Velcro. In the end it is ok as Tyler finds his onesies too hot. He always takes off his socks.
I did not want the hood as he would not like it, and the pockets are kinda useless on pj's, no?
Now I had lunch, on to Sam's PJ's. they are more complicated and detailed than Tyler's. This McCall's pattern is so simple, I did not even need to read the directions. I always do, it is just good practice. It is like cooking, you always read your recipe from start to finish, that way there are no surprises.
So it took me until December 24th the finish Sam's PJ's. This is the 4th time I make these, you would think it would go easier. The problem is when you think you don't need instructions and you are good, that is when you make silly mistakes. I had to rip out my stitches for the collar and the feet.
I have made a few modifications. You REALLY need a longer zipper. Diaper changes are extremely hard with such a short diaper. Just trying to get them on and off is impossible. I thought I had bought a 20 inch zipper but could not find it, so maybe I didn't buy such a long one. I wanted the zipper to go down the leg. Anyhow it went right down to the leg. Good enough.
I don't like the collar. Next time I will make the ends straight and not curved.
The collars for the wrists are too long. I cut them 5/8 of an inch smaller. What happened was I sewed them together, tried to attach them and said "Nope too big". On the other sleepers they were too loose as well. So I cut them at the seam and resewed them. Perfect.
Oh, I almost forgot! I used jiffy grip on the feet. I used the flannel as a liner and I put the grippy material on the bottoms. No more slipping!