|This is what I am basing my costume on|
Day 3: We sewed the white part to the belly and sewed the 2 front pieces together. Believe it or not that took 2 hours. I wanted to do everything up until the zipper, so we are on target.
Day 4: We sewed the zipper. But we must redo it. Simon wanted to do the zipper his way, and he is good with zippers, but he did not realize that I did not want to see the zipper. I want it to be hidden. It is well done, but not to my liking. I know I am picky, but I want to be able to show this costume off! While Simon was sewing the zipper he broke a needle and my sewing machine was not picking up the bobbin thread after. I thought it was broken! I started to hyperventilate, freak out, panic. Simon fixed it. It works, all is well in my World.
I stayed stitched the arms and attached the front arms to the front body. i am looking like the Pink panther at the moment. That would work, he was my Favorite when I was a kid!
The tail right now looks a little...odd. Let's say it looks like a Swan?
Day 6: Now all we had to do was place the back arms on the back pieces and sew the front to the back. You would think this is a quick process. I would say yes but I wanted to take my time. The tail is rigid due to the way we made it and it pulled on the material. I had to go slowly or else the material would shift while sewing. We spent 1½ hours on this part and I was tired, so we called it a night before the collar step.
Here you can see the back, it came together nicely.
Meow! I will need to shorten the arms and legs, but that will be the next step.
Day 7: So the collar is a straightforward easy application. It would be if it fit the collar. I checked the piece against the pattern, I cut it out properly. I believe that with our walking foot we were not sewing with the proper seam allowances. I re cut the facing on an XL and it was still to small.
Now I have to mention that my sewing table surface ROCKS! I have the cardboard overlay for pattern tracing and material pinning. But I also have an ironing surface. Scooch the cardboard over, and Voila! I can iron directly on the top. Soooo convenient.
To fit the facing on the collar I pieced the 2 facings together to make a longer one. You fold it on the inside, so you do not notice that it has extra pieces sewn at the end. You tack it down to the seams, and it is not noticeable. Either it is us or the pattern was off. I compared the material to the pattern and I was good. I did not cut the incorrect size.